Academic Advisement Assistant
Required Qualifications: (Evidenced by an attached resume)
Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in hand by June 2022. One year of full-time experience in a college or university setting in one or more of the following areas: academic advising, transfer advising, counseling, teaching, student programming/activities, orientation, student services, or enrollment/retention issues. Experience teaching, conducting workshops/training and presenting to diverse audiences. Experience coordinating programs and events.
Master’s degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in higher education, student affairs, social work, counseling, or a related discipline in hand by June 2022. Academic advising experience in a college or university setting. Experience teaching new student seminars or student-development related courses. Working knowledge of PeopleSoft.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Academic Advisor in Academic & Transfer Advising Services provides individual academic advising to undergraduates in their sophomore, junior, and senior years. The incumbent teaches the transfer seminar course and may evaluate transfer credits as appropriate. The incumbent is an active leader and participant in assisting with the orientation and registration process, planning activities and events throughout the year, developing and implementing advising strategies for academic success for all students, and building connections with faculty, staff, and student constituents. This position provides a significant link to students’ transition from their first year of college or beginning their transfer experience, and serves to strengthen student engagement and retention. Incumbent must possess: Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Experience successfully working independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving. Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Academic Advising: Provide high quality, proactive academic advising to undergraduates in their sophomore, junior, and senior year as well as transfer students. Advising occurs in individual and group settings on an ongoing basis, and will include regular communication about courses, majors, degree requirements, and policies/procedures. Provide active support, follow-up, and strategies for success either individually or in a group setting, to students on academic action. Serve as a general walk-in, appointment, and phone advisor for undergraduates.
- New Student Seminar Instruction: Participate in relevant training and provide instruction for ADV 101, a seminar class for incoming transfer students with goals including student acclimation to Stony Brook, retention, and graduation. ADV 101 is comprised of approximately 20 students per class and meets the entire semester. Supervise, train, and evaluate an assigned teaching assistant.
- Orientation and Registration: Assist in the coordination and implementation of orientation sessions for incoming transfer students. Provide 1:1 and group advising for new students regarding academic planning, policies, course requirements, and the process of registration. Participate in student orientation and opening weekend programs in January and the summer, including assisting in the development, planning, and implementation of new student related events and activities.
- Program Development and Event Planning: Participate in initiating, planning, and developing events and activities which build community and support academic success. Participate in one or more office committees. Participate in various University programs and services including training/staff development, campus events, special events, admissions open houses, search committees, and University-wide committees.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
This is a full-time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
In accordance with the New York State Department of Health (DOH) regulation that all hospitals and nursing homes “continuously require all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19,” Candidates who are not already vaccinated must obtain the first dose of the vaccine within three (3) calendar days of acceptance of conditional job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with the vaccine protocol. Candidates who are partially vaccinated, but not yet fully vaccinated, must complete their vaccination series within three (3) calendar days of job offer or in accordance with vaccine manufacture protocol, whichever comes later.
The regulation also includes those who may be affiliated with or interact with employees of a hospital or nursing home. The regulation allows for limited exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2201270Official Job Title: Academic Advisement AssistantJob Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)Primary Location: US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area: Academic and Transfer Advising ServicesSchedule: Full-time Shift :Day Shift Shift Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm Posting Start Date: Jun 9, 2022Posting End Date: Jul 29, 2022, 8:59:00 PMSalary:$50,000, plus $3,026 location payAppointment Type: TermSalary Grade:SL2