Point University is a private liberal arts institution that educates our students within a Christian worldview so
they are equipped to take their faith into the marketplace and all of life while achieving their professional goals. We are training the
next generation of Christian leaders to take the cross to more job sites, churches, industries, and nations than ever before.
Academic Advisor is responsible for helping students of all modalities to achieve their educational goals. This person provides academic
planning, retention strategies, student mentorship, and student support resources and guidance institution-wide. This role works closely
with faculty, staff, and administration to provide a high level of customer service to ensure a positive student experience.
Responsibilities and Primary Activities:
- Uphold the mission, academic, and service standards of the institution.
- Assist the student in exploring academic and career goals to select a professional major.
- Work closely with the student on
academic planning and achieving satisfactory academic progress until graduation.
- Understand academic records, registration and
graduation processes, transcript evaluations, program changes, degree audits, and class schedules for all programs each term while ensuring
efficient and effective workflow.
- Serves as a check point on early alert processes and tracks student success processes with a
- Practice effective problem solving regarding academic planning and providing appropriate institutional
- Participate as part of the academic department, support services unit, and collaborate and serve with all other
University teams and partnerships to ensure excellent student service.
- Participate in all registration, orientation and
graduation events; as well as other special events as assigned.
- Document and maintain accurate and official records of all
student data, ensuring that all activities and communication follow University policies and procedures, FERPA guidelines, accreditation
standards, and professional member associations.
- Provide reports and student data as needed to the Registrar and Dean of Point
Academic Support Services.
- Examine the academic catalog to stay current on program changes to provide accurate and consistent
- Cross train and works closely with other support service departments to provide accurate information and guidance on
(but not limited to) academic success, mentoring, and career planning.
- Utilize retention and enrollment data to assist the
leadership team with informed decisions regarding individual students, University strategies, policies, and procedures regarding retention
and the student life cycle.
- Present and/or facilitate student, faculty, and staff workshops and events as needed.
- Participate in designated committees related to retention and support services
- Additional advising duties can include (but not
limited to): answering phones, scanning documents, answering emails, managing walk-in and online traffic, setting meetings, and responding
to customer service tickets.
- Work in a fast paced advising, registration, and retention environment.
- B.S. or B.A. degree required.
- Deliver outstanding customer service and be willing to go the extra mile
for students, faculty, and staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Ability to build strong relationships with
- Analytical mindset and/or data driven background.
- Excellent technology skills.
- Effective public
- Results driven.
- Other requirements include superior communication and organizational skills;
ability to work independently and function within a team; ability to manage multiple projects; ability to understand the use of technology
within the student life cycle; and experience in working with diverse populations.
with Campus Nexus or Ellucian preferred.
- Previous experience in academic advising, retention, and/or higher education.