Academic Advisor I
Please Note: Internal Employees, please access the Career app on
the Workday Dashboard
homepage to apply for the position.
Why join UMass Global?
Competitive compensation and benefits
promote your health and well-being. UMass Global embraces inclusion, promotes corporate responsibility, and applies sustainable practices on
the job and in the office.
At the University of Massachusetts Global, we value the personal health
and financial well-being of our employees. Our affordable and flexible benefits packages truly encompass our mission and values by giving
our employees peace of mind to allow them to focus on their professional development and other important aspects in their lives. Our
Spending Accounts (FSA)
mandatory contribution by UMass Global
online learning and training tools
Responsible to advise
undergraduate and graduate students regarding program and course requirements. Develop a strong rapport with assigned students, track and
report student data and progress, maintain responsibility for student retention, and support the student in persistence through program
completion. Communicate and collaborate throughout the university advising community and perform other duties based on campus needs. Perform
all duties in accordance with the University’s policies and procedures, all US state and federal laws and regulations, wherein the
New hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any boosters recommended by the CDC) and
demonstrate proof of vaccination upon hire unless you are exempt from this requirement under state law or have an approved medical or
UMass Global employees assigned to a campus are eligible to participate in a voluntary hybrid flexible work
arrangement benefit including remote work two (2) workdays per week, one of which is Friday, with approval of their supervisor, through the
University’s Voluntary Flexible Work Arrangement Program.
TYPE OF SUPERVISION:
Receive general direction from the
General Direction – indicates that the incumbent receives guidance in terms of broad goals and overall
objectives and is responsible for establishing the methods to attain them. Generally, the incumbent is in charge of an area of work, and
typically formulates policy for this area but does not necessarily have final authority for approving policy.
POSITION DUTIES AND
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students
on the development of individual learning outcomes based on their skills, goals, responsibilities and experiences. Encourage and direct
students in utilizing web-based resources.
- Maintain and review student records, update student database information, conduct
data analysis, and respond to requests for information. Analyze and resolve student issues associated with program requirements and course
scheduling by interpreting and applying academic policies.
- Acquire and demonstrate content knowledge regarding specific degree,
credential and certificate programs. Pursue and demonstrate knowledge of the National Academic Advising Association’s competency-based model
of academic advising.
- Support student enrollment efforts through collaboration with university partner
- Monitor individual student progress and perform proactive advising outreach to
discuss academic issues, program completion, and career goals to support retention while ensuring compliance to standards, policies and
- Collaborate with the university community, including campus meetings and departmental committees, to
support students’ educational experience resulting in action plans leading to student persistence.
- Prepare program
summary analyses, evaluative reports and recommendations to support retention initiatives.
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS AND
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills to
communicate clear, concise and grammatically correct documents, reports and correspondence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to
interact with diverse constituents.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Required to maintain high level of
confidentiality of student records.
- Ability to abide by the ethical standards and guidelines for academic
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to handle high volume and an
ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Computer skills in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database,
electronic mail and internet applications.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Skill to
develop creative and innovative solutions to complex student issues. General understanding of curriculum for degree, credential and
- Working knowledge of General Education and transfer requirements, with demonstrated ability to critically
evaluate student records and transcripts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising theories and
- General knowledge of enrollment management and retention best practices and the ability to apply them to an adult
- Working knowledge of student information systems as related to student records and
- Experience using virtual meeting platforms
- Working knowledge of and experience in the application of adult
learning principles and higher education policies.
- Understanding and ability to apply the competency-based model of academic
advising as endorsed by the National Academic Advising Association.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION AND/OR
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-3 years’ experience with student advising or related experience in an educational
- Experience in interpreting and applying academic policies for student degree requirements and academic
- Experience in resolving academic issues that also involve the career and life goals of the
- Knowledge of learning needs of individual students based on their skills, abilities, and
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, ELECTRONIC DEVICES, SOFTWARE, OTHER:
- Intermediate level experience in Microsoft
Office Word, Excel, Outlook
- Ability to effectively use scanning and video conferencing technology
- Familiarity with
the use of standard office equipment (e.g. copier, fax, scanner, etc.)
Contact with Students: Frequent
with Faculty and/or Staff: Frequent
Contact with Community and Vendors: Occasional
Please Note: Internal
Employees, please access the Career app on the Workday Dashboard
homepage to apply for the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity -UMass Global is committed to providing an
educational and work environment free of unlawful discrimination and harassment in any form. UMass Global prohibits all forms of
discrimination and harassment on the basis of age, ancestry, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices),
disability (mental and physical), marital status, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, national origin
(including language use restrictions), race, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and/ related medical conditions), gender,
gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal
Reasonable Accommodation – UMass Global provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a
reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the recruitment department at email@example.com.
To apply, visit https://umassglobal.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMassGlobalCareers/job/San-Diego/Academic-Advisor-I_R-11