Academic Advisor I
Job ID: 245703
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America’s Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0140142 – College of Education Advisment Center
Serve as frontline contact for undergraduate students for developmental academic advising to drive engagement and empower students to achieve their academic and career goals. Build formative relationships with students by interpreting information concerning course descriptions, program requirements, prerequisites, and registration procedures. Play vital role in maximizing undergraduate students’ persistence to graduation. This position has been identified by Federal Law (Jeanne Clery Act) as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), with significant student and campus responsibilities. CSA ‘s are obligated to report crimes reported to them which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Advise students on options to satisfy degree requirements; program changes; and resolution of academic problems
- Monitor student academic progress
- Refer students to campus resources
- Support students in establishment of academic and career goals; and identify challenges that may negatively impact student success
- Comply with and enforce student privacy regulations such as FERPA
- Assist with advisement and registration at orientation
- May participate with Advisor II and III on special projects or tasks as assigned/approved by supervisor
- Provide current and prospective students with in-depth information regarding course descriptions, prerequisites, program requirements and registration procedures
- Assist in resolution of individual academic problems
- Participate in New Student Orientation: make presentations; advise and register students for classes; resolve issues and evaluate courses
- Review and perform preliminary evaluation of transcript and provides early advisement to transfer students
- Process change of major request-includes counseling student on major, course requirements, follow-up to ensure assignment of advisor, major change in Banner
- Counsel student and assist with developing academic schedule and makes referrals to services offered on-campus
- Provide support to faculty mentors
- Create advising materials and checklist in consultation with departments and colleges
- Assist with data collection, data entry, analyses and creation of statistical reports
- Assist with contacting students to schedule appointments; and provide notification of meetings and special events
- Audit student degree and academic program records in Banner
- Represent center and college at meetings, open houses and recruitment events
- Develop and maintain student files and records
- Bachelor’s degree
- One (1) or more years of related work experience
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Master’s Degree
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section of your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proficiency with computer and Microsoft Office applications software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University’s mission for student success
- Understanding of campus resources available to students
- Understanding of advisement theory and practices
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
Apply Before Date
August 5, 2022
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
Standard and Education
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Travel required
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours to evenings and weekends
- May be required to drive University vehicles
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University’s academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution’s Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=245703&PostingSeq=1