Position Number: 30023576
Work Schedule: M- F 8:15 – 4:30
Some evening and weekend work for recruitment
Hours per Week
Months per Year
Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University (NKU) seeks
excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by
embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal
Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a
demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive
Purpose of Position
The Integrative Studies program in the College of Arts and
Sciences at Northern Kentucky University is currently accepting applications for a lead academic advisor. Integrative Studies (IST) offers flexible programs at both the Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree levels, designed to allow students to create
a unique major focused on their own academic interests and goals. Our students are diverse, range in age from sixteen to sixty-five, and
include those who are changing majors or transferring to NKU. We offer programs both online and on
This advisor will be part of a team of faculty and staff dedicated to student success. Advisors are specifically
expected to work closely with students to identify, implement, and support the best path to graduation, direct them to student resources,
and help them make meaningful college decisions. We focus on building productive working relationships with students, alumni, faculty,
staff, administrators from across the university. In the program our advisors will help with strategic planning, assessment, and scheduling.
In the college our advisors will work with others in orientation, admission, recruitment, retention, and other student-focused
Advisors are expected to have a firm grasp of the tools, systems, platforms and organizational structures that
support student success; they must have a ready understanding of university policies and an awareness of and commitment to best practices in
advising. Members of our team are advocates for the program and its mission. They are committed to the value of integrative learning,
student success, creative problem-solving, and professional development.
- Demonstrate responsible, informed, prepared, and responsive advising in the service of student
- Demonstrate commitment to innovation and continuous improvement, integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency in professional
and program performance.
- Demonstrate commitment to participation, collegiality, and collaboration at program, college, and
university levels of functioning.
- Demonstrate commitment to work with and support the success of diverse groups of
- Advise majors and minors in integrative studies including new students,
current majors, transfer students, as well as potential students. Assist in planning and implementation of academic advising. Assist
students in developing a clear path to reach their educational and career goals, including connecting the skills of majors with the needs of
the job market. Deal with placement, transfer, graduation, and other degree-path issues and refer students to appropriate resources as
needed. Assist in short and long term schedule planning.
- Working closely with the director, help develop and assist the with program
recruiting and retention activities such as mentoring student groups and peer mentors.
- Collaborate with the College of Arts and
Sciences Advising Center and NKU offices such as admissions, graduate programs, new student orientation,
Educational Outreach, Student Success Hub, recruitment and retention efforts and others as needed in academic affairs and student
- Plan, present, and assist with recruiting efforts including Norse Days, Black and Gold Days, and other department and
university recruitment efforts.
- Maintain documentation of appointments, advising, and related activities. Generate and disseminate
student reports using university information systems.
- Become a Master Advisor. Attend regular trainings, conferences and educational
events to stay current on NKU policies and best practices in academic
Bachelor’s Degree plus 2 years of related experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access); ability to learn complex software
systems (e.g. SAP, Tutor Track, and Navigate) quickly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and
professionalism; strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and collaborative skills and ability to deal
successfully with diverse populations.
- Must be able to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- 2 years of
related experience required preferably advising undergraduate university students
Any candidate who is offered this position
will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Education: Master’s Degree
Experience: 2 years
Salary: $41,000 – $46,000/annually
Pay Grade: S69
Requisition Number: 2022S1689
Job Open Date: 08/02/2022