Academic Advisor (SSP II)
Job No: 517099
Work Type: Staff
Categories: Unit 4 – APC – Academic Professionals of California, Probationary, Full Time, Counselor (Non-instructional Faculty)
(Student Services Professional II)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,304 – $4,502 per month
Full CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,304 – $6,120 per month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Under the general supervision of the Program Director of the College of Science and Mathematics Advising and Resources Center (ARC), the incumbent provides counseling and advising services to help students achieve their educational and personal goals at California State University, Fresno. This position is responsible for providing academic advisement and counseling services to support student transition to the university and retention through graduation.
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of a university college, advising center, or similar department.
- Working knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management.
- Working knowledge of research and interview techniques.
- Working knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior.
- Knowledge of study skills and retention intervention strategies.
- Competency with office automation (use of Word, Excel, email/internet).
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills and ability to interact with students, faculty, and other support staff.
- Ability to:
- Present clear and concise information both orally and in written form.
- Interpret and apply program rules and regulations.
- Use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements.
- Obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews.
- Reason logically.
- Collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
- Advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required.
- Recognize multicultural, multi-sexed and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly.
- Effectively organize and manage multiple tasks in a fast pace team-oriented environment.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts.
- Rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of CSU, Fresno.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field.
- A master’s degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Preferred Skills:
- Master’s degree in counseling with option in Student Affairs and College Counseling or equivalent.
- Familiar with student services and academic programs.
- Experience in the use of PeopleSoft Student Administration System.
- Experience in the use of Bulldog Connect.
- Experience evaluating transcripts and computation of GPAs.
- Knowledge of issues relating to advising and careers in the sciences and/or health professions is desirable.
- Knowledge of transfer policies & procedures, and admission requirements.
The College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) Advising and Resource Center (ARC) has as its primary mission “student success.” The focus of the mission drives ARC to continuously improve the recruitment and retention of “all” students who plan to major in biology, chemistry, computer science, environmental sciences, geology, mathematics, natural science, physics or psychology. The expected outcome of this mission is to increase: 1. graduation rates; 2. the number of students pursuing advanced degrees; and 3. the number of graduates entering the science, technology, mathematics, and behavioral science workforce. ARC serves as a seamless resource for students seeking advice or support within the college. In addition, services are provided whereby students are assisted with career and graduate school placement. ARC centralizes all advising and student support services within the college to create a positive student experience in which students develop a strong sense of belonging. It works closely with staff, faculty and departments within the college and with other student service units across campus to provide holistic services. The Center also serves as an umbrella organization to house grant-funded student support programs such as LSAMP and HCOP.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Applications received by August 19, 2022 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resume/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University’s mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Vaccination Interim Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a “designated position” under the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Fresno State is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions. (e.g. H1-B Visas)
To apply, visit https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/job/517099/academic-advisor-ssp-iijeid-ed4a4b2abe79724aa2fa25b8887223cd