Requisition Number: S1877P
Home Org Name: Liberal Arts Administration
Division Name: College of Liberal Arts
Job Class Code: AA70
Appointment Status: Full-time
Limited Term: No
The College of Liberal Arts seeks candidates for an Assistant Director of Academic Advising position to direct and oversee the academic advising unit within Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts.
The College of Liberal Arts houses 43 majors in a range of fields including the fine and performing arts, communication, social sciences, health services, and aviation. There are more than 40 CLA student organizations that foster leadership development, enhance the classroom experience, and build community. The college currently serves more than 4,000 undergraduate students across all CLA majors.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship, and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts, and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
- Directs and oversees the daily operation of the academic advising unit within Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Supervises academic advisors and any academic advising support staff in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Evaluates, reviews, and implements best practices relating to student academic advising services.
- Manages and revises curricula, ensuring advisement models are current and accurate.
- Works collaboratively with other Liberal Arts Student Services units to provide advising related information to prospective students, to assist with the development and implementation of student support programs, and to increase opportunities and programs that support successful student outcomes.
- Collaborate with academic departments and faculty to increase opportunities for student engagement within academic programs.
- Analyze and utilize student academic data to inform decisions related to academic advising practice and policy.
- Develop and implement operational guidelines and policies for the academic advising team in coordination with the Assistant Dean of Student Services and in accordance with Auburn University Policies.
- Assist the Assistant Dean of Student Services with administrative operations and academic policy enforcement and processes.
- Oversee the college’s participation in university student orientation programs.
- May direct student informational programs, workshops, or classes to provide information related to academic programs and academic advising practice and policies.
- Serve as a representative of the College of Liberal Arts on campus wide committees and administrative teams.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
Field of Study
Degree in Education, Business, Psychology, Counseling, or related field.
Years of Experience: 5
Area of Experience
Experience in academic advising and student services. 3 years of experience in academic advising in a higher education environment.
Education Level: Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed
Years of Experience: Indicated experience is required; no substitutions allowed
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of academic advising principles and practices. Knowledge of the transfer articulation process. Knowledge of Word, Excel, Banner, SSC Campus (Advise Assist), DegreeWorks, and/or similar degree auditing programs.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution and supervisory experience.
Salary Grade: 34
Salary Range: $45,100 – $75,100
Job Category: Executive/Director/Management
City position is located in
State position is located
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to completing the online application, using the attachment feature of this website, please submit a cover letter outlining your qualifications for this position and a current resume. Please list the names and daytime phone numbers for three professional references on your application. Only complete applications will be considered for selection. A commitment to an inclusive and diverse campus environment is required.