Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 390301 – Study Abroad
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Essential Job Duties:
This Assistant Director of Advising and DEI is an integral part of the Study Abroad Office leadership team and is vital to ensuring that study abroad is accessible and inclusive for the entire NC State student population. This role is responsible for directing student advising, supervising the advising team, leading diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic initiatives, and strategic management of exchange, direct enroll programs, and summer partner programs.
Direct Student Advising and Curriculum Integration
This position directs study abroad advising, developing and promoting advising practices that align with University and office philosophy, policies, and best practices while utilizing campus and industry resources. Coordinate post-decision advising for exchange, direct enroll participants, and summer partner programs, including nominations to partner institutions and pre-departure preparations. Guide curriculum integration efforts to identify study abroad programs that align with departmental, curricular goals in close collaboration with the academic units. Support advisors’ collaboration with the academic units to facilitate strategic course mapping. Develop workshops and presentations for faculty, departmental coordinators of advising, and academic advisors regarding study abroad opportunities, processes/best practices, and to garner support for and promote study abroad opportunities. Supervise three full-time Study Abroad Advisors. Support advisors in managing their program portfolios and global responsibilities, assess and evaluate performance, and manage workloads. Serve as advisor for participants on study abroad programs within designated colleges and regions (currently the College of Textiles and University College/Exploratory Studies). Administer the program application and acceptance process for outgoing students within the designated portfolio. Serve on the emergency response team, assist the office in mitigating risk with a focus on student health and safety.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Lead Study Abroad Office diversity and inclusion efforts, including outreach to students from underrepresented backgrounds including but not limited to racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ, students with disabilities, first generation students, and high financial need students. Create equitable advising practices that foster inclusive excellence within the advising team. Maintain and update advising materials for specific underserved student populations and resources for program directors. Expand outreach advising in the OIED Campus Community Centers and with other campus partners in coordination with the study abroad advising team. Develop and lead faculty and student workshops and panels addressing intercultural competence, and diversity and inclusion in study abroad in partnership with colleagues across the University. Represent the office on university-wide diversity committees, including the University Diversity Advisory Committee and serve as liaison to the national organization, Diversity Abroad Network.
Exchange and Direct Enroll Program Management
Lead assessment of existing exchange, direct enroll programs, and summer partner programs to leverage strategic partnerships and ensure a diverse portfolio of programs that meet the needs of students and academic units. Work closely with office leadership and advisors to strategically develop new study abroad programs as a part of the curriculum integration initiative. Manage exchange agreements with advisors and the Office of Global Engagement’s Director of Global Partnerships, including maintaining a balance of enrollments, facilitating renewals, and evaluating possible new agreements. Coordinate and administer a subset of exchange, direct enroll, and summer partner programs (currently the Americas and Sub-Saharan Africa). Serve as an on-site program leader or staff assistant, as needed.
- Serve on the office leadership team and help position NC State as a leader in study abroad
- Serve as an active member of the Study Abroad leadership team in developing and implementing new initiatives
- Represent NC State and Study Abroad Office at state, regional, and national conferences, as needed, and present sessions and workshops, when possible
- Serve on relevant committees and advisory boards within the field, when possible
- Represent NC State and Study Abroad Office on site visits to international partners and for program development, as needed
- Represent NC State and Study Abroad Office on site visits to international partners and for program development, as needed.
- Help position NC State as a leader in study abroad; represent NC State and Study Abroad Office at state, regional, and national conferences, as needed, and present sessions and workshops, when possible.
Require post-baccalaureate credentials or a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
- Minimum of three years professional experience in the field of international education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in education abroad
- Ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding of study abroad and exchange programs and student development theory and/or advising philosophy
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in the development and management of study abroad programs
- Experience in student or academic advising; ability to interact with, identify and understand the needs of underserved and underrepresented populations
- Experience supervising professional staff or student employees; strong management and team-building skills
- Demonstrated success working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Excellent decision-making, organizational, and communication skills, including public speaking
- Detail-oriented; ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changing demands and priorities; ability to thrive in a demanding job environment
- Computer proficiency, including MS Office and Google suite
- Demonstrated high work ethic with willingness to work flexible hours, as needed
- Possess both a high level of professionalism and thrive in a demanding work environment and exhibit empathy and enthusiasm in interactions with students, faculty and staff
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience studying, living, and/or working abroad
- Ability to prioritize workload, and adapt to changing demands and priorities
- Familiarity with study abroad risk management best practices
- Experience using Terra Dotta for Study Abroad software is a plus
- Experience working with programs in or other demonstrated expertise in the Americas and/or Sub-Saharan Africa
- Proficiency in Spanish language
- Willingness to engage in professional development to stay abreast of best practices
- Capacity to proactively engage in new initiatives that require both creativity and follow-through
- Previous experience working in a study abroad office and on a university campus strongly preferred
Required license or certification:
Position Number: 00103103
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.