Washington, DC, US, 20016
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today’s thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
The Associate Director, First Year Advising leads the internal operations of the First Year Advising (FYA) Team and, with the Associate Dean and Dean, is responsible for developing and implementing long-term strategic plans for FYA.
This position provides a holistic perspective in assisting first year students by advising, teaching, and supporting them during their adjustment to university life. This position instructs four sections of American University Experience (1.5 credits each) during the academic year.
This position concurrently provides year-long professional academic advising and support to a caseload of first year undergraduate students.
The Associate Director is responsible for managing a team of five to six full-time employees.
This position is expected to exercise professional judgment in all aspects of the position and has broad decision-making authority subject to review by the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Education.
- Departmental and Operational Leadership: With the Associate Dean, develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish unit and University strategic initiatives. With the Associate Dean and Dean, the incumbent is responsible for identifying long-range objectives for first year advising and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them. Works with the Associate Dean and AUx Director from implementation through execution and reporting.
- Instruct AUx Classes: Instruct a total of four 75-minute classes of approximately 19 students each week in the Fall and Spring semesters. Synthesize and analyze assigned articles and online content; compile supplementary readings and research to inform classroom instruction. Attend training sessions related to AUx instruction. Prepare weekly lesson plans including dialogue facilitation and active learning components adhering and not altering the standardized curriculum, AUx program policies, and grading rubrics.
- Academic Advising: Advise and counsel approximately 40 undergraduate students utilizing knowledge of each students’ background and strengths obtained from individual weekly interactions, reading their reflective writings, and observation of their performance in class discussions and related activities. Communicate and coordinate with faculty regarding students in academic distress.
- Management & Supervision: Responsible for hiring, training, and directing the work of five to six (5-6) full-time employees. Responsible for coaching, mentoring, providing regular feedback, managing performance, conducting performance evaluations for staff that report to the position.
- Student Support: Support and teach students to develop competencies in decision making; conflict resolution; time management; stress management and goal setting. Assist students with academic and social adjustment issues, making appropriate referrals to campus partners.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- This position reports to the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time.
- Project Leader/Advisor A.
- Position works Monday through Friday. Standard business hours are 9:00am – 5:00pm, but exact schedule may vary each semester (fall and spring) based on time courses meet.
- This position is a full-time, temporary position currently funded through June 30, 2024. The continuation of this position is contingent upon funding.
- $77,000.00 – $82,000.00/year.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of five to eight years’ experience providing advising or student services support in higher education. Teaching or small group facilitation experience with undergraduate students and strong student support focus required.
- Significant supervisory experience required, including demonstrated ability to provide and willingness to receive effective feedback. Demonstrated consideration for, knowledge of, and experience working with and managing a diverse team. Leading and supporting a diverse team. Active listening skills — giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate.
- Ability to work in a team and independently. Demonstrated public speaking ability and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills with multiple demonstrated cultural competencies (LGBTQ, International, first-generation, socioeconomic class differences, BIPOC students) to serve a diverse student population is required. Commitment to an inclusive and equity-based approach. Attention to detail and results orientation are required, along with initiative, drive, flexibility, and ability to excel in a multicultural environment.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an adjunct faculty appointment.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Working in an environment striving to incorporate anti-racist practices.
- Ability to represent diverse opinions.
- Demonstrated commitment to servant and transformational leadership.
- Experience identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills, including leadership development
- Experience teaching and advising undergraduate students, particularly first-year students, is preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite. Click here to learn about American University’s unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC