The Dean’s Office of the College of Engineering seeks culturally and professionally diverse
candidates to apply for the
position of Director of Advising. Since its inception in 1996, the Virginia Commonwealth University College
of Engineering has brought innovative, real-world engineering education to Central Virginia. Comprised of five different departments plus
the Dean’s office, the College of Engineering enrolls more than 1,700 undergraduate and 250 graduate students in several degree programs
supported by approximately 550 full-time, part-time, and student employees. As part of a premier research university known for tenacity,
love of the city of Richmond, and commitment to diversity and access, the College of Engineering values the significant and positive impact
of our people and ideas in the promotion of regional and global prosperity involving research and life sciences.
The Director of
Advising for the VCU College of Engineering, is committed to establishing an environment that encourages students to become responsible,
engaged, and empowered community members while providing a complete university
experience that is student-centered and focused on meeting
our students’ developmental and learning needs. The Director of Advising reports directly to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.
The Director of Student Services will be responsible for the following activities:
- The Director will be responsible for
oversight of the advising of students enrolled in the College of Engineering, and may have their own portfolio of
- Coordinate all student advising activities within the College of Engineering. Such activities would include student
advising, tutoring, coordination of diploma awarding ceremony, and other special events.
- Coordinate central information resources
for undergraduate students as they relate to graduation issues and verification of degrees and provide a database of required courses,
course sequences, and pre-requisites.
- Investigate professional development opportunities for staff within VCU, NACADA and other
- Oversee the completion of Student Educational Plans (SEPs) ensuring the pathway to graduation for
students has been created.
- Work in concert with recruiting and career services teams on activities for recruiting efforts as well
as career services activities (student organizations, career fairs, participation in open house events).
- Serve as the supervisor
for tutors and proctors to ensure the deadlines necessary for reporting hours worked.
- Fiscal responsibilities include overseeing
the student services budget and ensuring available funds are spent judiciously and on activities germane to the operation of Student
- Organize orientation activities, Welcome Week Activities, two graduation ceremonies, and assist with the Living, Learning
Community and various other duties.
- Update Student Services web page ensuring that information/dates are updated as necessary and
in a timely fashion.
- The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, goal
oriented and a seasoned advising professional with a proven
record of success.
- Experience in managing all facets of the advising
and admissions environment is essential.
- The candidate should be skilled in public speaking and must have the ability to work
effectively and efficiently with engineering faculty, business leaders, volunteers, faculty and alumni.
- Strong writing and editing
skills and attention to detail are extremely important.
- He/she should be poised to accept new challenges and embrace all facets of
a growing environment, while working collegially within a large, comprehensive university advising team.
- A commitment to develop
advising strategies and best practices to support the goal of increased retention and
graduation in the VCU College of
- Experience working in higher education
- Demonstrated successful recruitment or admissions experience preferably
in university or professional school;
excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Master’s degree with 5-7 years of
relevant experience or equivalent combination of education, training, and
- The College of Engineering at VCU supports a
diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an
FLSA Status: Exempt
ORP Eligible: Yes
Salary Range: $70,000 – $80,000
Type: UF – University Employee FT
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt
Contact Name: Sierra Cloud
Contact Email: cloudse@Vcu.edu