University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding, self-realization, and the common good.
The Director of University Advising Center assists the Senior Director of the University Advising Center (UAC) in providing students with quality academic advising and support. Position responsibilities include advising undergraduate students toward degree completion; coordinating business processes that ensure students receive timely and exemplary service; developing and implementing ways to increase student success, retention, and persistence through evidence-based decision making, assessment, and evaluation; and engaging in and promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
This position is considered a “Responsible Employee” under Title IX federal regulations and “Mandatory Reporter” under Texas state law and the UIW Sexual Misconduct Policy. As a Mandatory Reporter, this position requires you, as the employee, to promptly report any incident that you witness or receive information about Title IX violations. These reporting responsibilities are set out in the UIW Sexual Misconduct Policy.
Job Duty Name
Description of Job Duties
- Assist and support the Sr. Director of Advising Services.
- Gather, manage, and disseminate data.
- Run/send daily/weekly reports.
- Serve as academic advisor to designated case load of advisees.
- Develop and conduct advising workshops.
- Increase student success, retention, and persistence through evidence-based decision making, assessment, and evaluation.
- Engage in and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Coordinate advising period dates, advising calendar, and advising syllabus.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate part-time professional staff and student workers in utilization of tools, technology, and software necessary for the position.
- Manage and maintain accurate advising department records.
- Update and maintain advising training materials.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the University Advising Center.
- Serve as resource to students, faculty and staff about degree requirements, course selection, and academic policies.
- Intervene on cases of student/parent issues/concerns.
- Troubleshoot minor issues regarding technology, processes, etc.
- Act as a liaison and point person between the University Advising Center and other key offices.
- Serve on planning committees and attend meetings in place of the Sr. Director as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Proficient computer skills and experience in Banner or similar system.
- Must be adaptable.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and address multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Must be able to communicate well with others.
- Works well with a team and individually.
- Anticipates needs and takes initiative to address those needs.
- Self-motivated and has a strong work ethic.
- Must maintain professionalism at all times and be able to work with confidential information.
- Must be knowledgeable in counseling or advising in a higher education setting.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, the Conference, and the NCAA.
Required Work Experience
- Five years of experience in counseling and/or advising in a higher education setting.
- Two years of experience as a supervisor or serving as a team leader.
- Experience in developing assessment goals in alignment with NACADA Academic Advising Model(s).
- Experience working with first generation students and their specific needs.
- Demonstrated experience working with ethnically diverse university community.
- Master’s Degree in Counseling, Education, or Psychology.
Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
M-F 8:00am-5:00pm with some evening/weekend hours during peak times
Posting Number: AS1492PO
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Administrator (exempt)
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2022
Reports to: Senior Director of Advising Services
Open Date: 08/01/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please provide a letter describing your philosophy of advising.
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, pregnancy, and religion (except in limited circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed appropriate as a matter of University policy).