Posting Number: 20110997-2
$16-$18 per hour
Job Category: Staff
Department: FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
Job Description Summary
The First Year Advisor supports new students in making a successful transition to college by providing resources for success, engagement initiatives and advising so that new students become full members of the SMC community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise and register students for their first and second semester of classes and certificate programs by teaching and assisting students in the self-registration process and accessing Dashboard.
- Identify required placement exams and interpret scores; inform students of alternative credit and test out options; review prior coursework to determine eligibility for course waivers and submit waivers as necessary.
- Participate in new student onboarding events, such as New Student Orientation and First Year Experience Programming.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication with academic deans, academic advisors, and the records office regarding scheduling issues, overrides, and curriculum variances.
- Provide excellent service to all visitors in the Office of First Year Experience answering questions from students and guests, helping students with paperwork, and teaching students how to use SMC resources.
- Utilize Banner Student Information System and other various software systems to enter overrides, collect and analyze data, and perform other key operations.
- Participate in student retention efforts, including but not limited to: cohort management, resource workshops, and engagement initiatives.
- Represent First Year Experience in a professional way during all interactions with students, parents, faculty, staff, and the public. This representation includes, but is not limited to: meetings, events, face-to-face encounters as well as dialogue and commentary via phone, email, and social media.
- The duties listed in this job description are not all-inclusive, but a list of the major responsibilities. Additional duties not noted in the job description may be assigned by a supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of one year of experience in higher education or a combination of education and experience commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Knowledge of Salesforce/CRM software
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. The physical activity of this position.
A. Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
B. Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
C. Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time.
D. Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
E. Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
F. Pulling. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
G. Lifting. Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
H. Fingering. Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
I. Grasping. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
J. Talking. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other employees accurately, loudly, or quickly.
K. Hearing. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
L. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
2. The physical requirements of this position.
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
3. The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception, and field vision.
The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
4. The conditions the employee will be subject to in this position.
The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Close Date: 08/09/2022
Accept References: Yes
Minimum Requests: 3
Maximum Requests: 3