The Technical Institute for Environmental Professions:
Unity College created the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions because many entry-level jobs are going unfilled due to a lack of skilled workers. Those who do possess the skills and education are burdened with excessive debt. So, we built an alternative to costly degree programs by offering short-term credentials such as certificates and Associate degrees all at a lower cost. These programs offer quicker and less expensive entryways into the workforce for first-time employment, career changers, and individuals looking to upskill. Short-term programs can also serve as stepping-stones to more advanced and technical opportunities. By narrowing our focus, this new institute will deliver the specialized training that leads to well-paying jobs in high-demand industries.
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible Associate degrees, Baccalaureate degrees, Masters degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses through a variety of modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens, environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The model for learner success at the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions (TIEP) pairs learners with a Learner Success Coordinator (LSC) that stewards students through the extent of their enrollment. The LSC advises learners of all ages, backgrounds, and demographics. This position is cross trained in all TIEP, and learner success mechanisms deployed throughout the institution. The LSC is the primary contact between learners and the services of the institute such as student accounts, financial aid, and career services. This position is responsible for learner retention, persistence, and serves as the primary liaison for learner success between TIEP and the Enterprise.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Maintain active contact with a designated caseload of learners
- Respond to learners by appropriate means such as but not limited to; in-person, telephone, email, text, letter, Zoom, Teams, and social media.
- Each LSC may also be assigned responsibility for the initiation, execution, and analysis of special projects. Projects may vary from term-to-term at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Presents TIEP and Unity College in a favorable way with individuals, groups, businesses, and community organizations.
- Resolve or mediate conflicts related to learner success.
- Associate degree
- 1 – 3 years of experience in student services, advising, or a related field.
- Strong creative, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Computer literacy, including social media, and data capability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, presentation software, and social media platforms.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of professional communication.
- Bachelors degree
- Strong organizational, analytical skills, and excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to work as member of a team and the confidence to work independently.
- Superior interpersonal, strategic thinking, and public speaking skills.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity College employees are generally scheduled to work at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible