Student Services Officer 1
Job Code: 7501
Job Grade: F
Stanford’s Online High School is an accredited, diploma-offering, highly selective independent high school, offering courses
for grades 7-12. The mission of Stanford Online High School (OHS) is to create a worldwide learning community of diverse,
intellectually passionate students and teachers. Through vibrant seminars, the rigorous curriculum challenges students to reason
analytically, think creatively, and argue critically. Beyond the classroom, collaborative extracurricular activities cultivate lasting
relationships among students and teachers. The school’s supportive environment fosters independence, strength of character, and a lifelong
pursuit of knowledge.
Stanford Online High School is also the new home of Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies (SPCS), which
provides a diverse array of academic enrichment programs that take place mostly in the summer but also throughout the academic year. Held
primarily online, SPCS programs serve intellectually curious pre-college students from around the world.
The Middle School
Academic Advisor will be responsible for providing OHS students and families with the full range of academic advising services related
to course selection and enrollment. As a key team member, you will assist talented and motivated students and their families as they develop
academic plans and manage their course enrollment. The OHS Advising Office utilizes a team-oriented approach. While advisors work with
specifically assigned students and families as their primary point of contact, the advice they provide aligns with the team and school’s
shared goals and aims, resulting in a successful enrollment process and academic year. The ability to communicate with colleagues and
families, understand the unique nature of the school and its students, and to contribute ideas about new initiatives that will advance the
goals of Stanford OHS are vital to success in this position.
*Stanford Online High School and Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies
offices are located at the Stanford Redwood City Campus, however this position is eligible for hybrid or remote work arrangement upon
mutual agreement. You must be located within the United States of America.*
**All employees may be subject to Stanford’s travel
policy if relocating from outside of California and are expected to perform work on-site. Please note that you will be subject to all
COVID-19 requirements for Stanford employees, which includes being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 pursuant to our vaccination
- Provide academic advising services primarily to
7th-8th grade students and their families at Stanford Online High School, assisting families in making decisions on
issues regarding course enrollment and academic services.
- Educate families on OHS course offerings, including pre-requisites and
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program
policies, career plans, accessibility, and community standards, in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Guide students through the annual enrollment process, approving course requests, registering students for placement assessment, and
communicating scheduling changes.
- Monitor student scheduling request data in the OHS scheduling system and assist in review of the
master schedule build.
- Ensure students have selected and are registered for appropriate courses throughout the year. Manage
requests to add and drop courses during the academic year.
- Track student performance and discuss academic, sensitive, and critical
issues as appropriate with the other school offices.
- Collaborate on projects and support the Director of Academic Advising and
school administration as appropriate for the school program.
- Contribute to developing and analyzing process of offerings, policies
- Be a subject matter resource to other departments; represent unit/department.
- Collaborate with Student
Life office on developing, planning, and implementing events and programs specific to middle school students.
- Support in-person
Student Life events, such as graduation and Summer@Stanford.
- Collaborate with Programs and Outreach office on middle school
- May assist the Admissions Committee.
* – Other duties may also be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external
audiences, client groups, and management.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced customer service
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Relevant computer systems/technology
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and
university policies and external regulations.
- Ability to frequently sit, and consistently perform desk-based computer and other
Imagine a world with limitless connections and access to knowledge.
Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we
live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of
our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development
programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also
provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter
and resume along with your online application.
*Note: The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in
this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and
responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature
and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Visa sponsorship is not
available for this position. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the
University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of the job.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.