Department: 3670003810 Vice Provost Student Success
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified – Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Advising / Support, Business / Accounting / Finance
Pay Grade: 08A
About This Role:
University’s inaugural Pre-Professional Advising Center seeks a pre-law advisor who is engaged and committed to applying advising
best-practices within a collaborative, diverse, inclusive and supportive environment that prepares students to become competitive
professional school applicants. Housed in Student Success, this Center provides specialized advising to all students, serving prospective
students, current students, and alumni on how to achieve their health and law professional-school goals. We provide guidance and programing
to encourage students to explore and prepare for a competitive application to professional school programs such as law, medicine, pharmacy,
physical therapy, physician assistant, dental, occupational therapy, nursing, veterinary medicine, and more.
Guided by the
fundamental principle that all students have the potential to earn a degree, academic advisors at K-State build trusting relationships with
students, helping them navigate degree requirements, make meaning of their college experience, and plan for post-graduation experiences.
Advisors teach students skills for self-understanding and agency, adapt their approach to each student, and connect students to resources.
Some responsibilities include:
- Help students explore their strengths and interests related to
their career and academic goals.
- Advise a caseload of 300+ students and alumni through individual appointments and in groups.
- Engage students in continuing self-assessment.
- Collaborate with advisors, faculty and staff to deliver best-in-class
- Research and monitor changes to professional school application processes, academic preparation, program
emphasis, and law career trends.
- Assist with LSAT preparation, application materials (including personal statement and resume
coaching and review) and navigating the LSAC application system.
- Host regular group Pre-Law Information Sessions (in person and
virtual) and participate in New Student Orientation.
- Offer programs to help students gain legal experiences,
explore legal careers, and prepare for law school.
- Set the program schedule and implement all of the logistics.
publicity for pre-law events.
- Deliver Constitution Day programming.
- Evaluate and assess program outcomes.
Advisory Group, Student Organization, and Student Success
- Coordinate K-State Pre-Law Advisory Council.
- Advise Pre-Law
- Connect with alumni willing to network with students or assist with the program.
- Note: The pre-law advisor
often co-teaches the Law & Society CAT Community designed for pre-law students for add pay.
- Meet with
prospective students interested in pre-law.
- Perform recruitment duties for K-State through outreach and events.
Pre-Professional Advising Center offers all prospective students interested in the professions with a clear and coherent point of entry.
With increased visibility, K-State will be a destination for best-in-class professional school exploration and preparation. The pre-law
advisor will, as part of Student Success, serve on university-wide committees and student success engagement teams/committees to help
further the goals of the Center and the broader Student Success unit.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University
offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick,
and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and
inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers,
students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree
- One year of relevant experience in law office, court or legal
- JD degree or Master’s degree in higher education, counseling, academic
advising or a related field
- Knowledge of academic advising theories
- 2-5 years of relevant experience in academic
- 2-5 years in undergraduate or professional school admissions
- Experience working with students from backgrounds
historically underrepresented in higher education
- Experience event planning
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- 3 professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until the position has been filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas
State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an
Advertised: Jul 25, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/513492/prelaw-advisor