PT Educational Planner Veteran Services
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The function of the educational planner
is to provide educational planning/ academic advising, career advising, registration assistance, graduation application processing, and
assistance in accessing and navigating institutional requirements to students using VA or Hazlewood educational benefits.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide educational planning
/ academic advising, registration assistance, and assistance in accessing and navigating institutional requirements to students using VA and
Hazlewood educational benefits.
- Certify students for appropriate federal and state educational benefits.
- Provide career
advising to assist students in choosing a career pathway.
- Plan, implement, and conduct retention and completion activities,
specifically for students receiving veteran benefits.
- Work with the Coordinator / Manager, Veteran Services to plan, implement and
evaluate the programs and services provided by Veteran Services.
- Assist with graduation application process and commencement
Additional Job Functions:
- Work cooperatively with counterparts on the on the
campus and at other campuses to achieve the College’s annual goals and objectives.
- Represent SJC with outside educational
institutions, internal departments, and professional organizations. Serve as department liaison and on campus/college committees as
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a working knowledge of Veterans Administration education benefits policies and
- Must be knowledgeable about Texas Hazlewood education benefits and how they relate to college policies
timely, professional communication and problem resolution strategies.
- Must be able to articulate the value of a community college
- Must be knowledgeable about the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) and the college’s policies and procedures related to
- Must be knowledgeable about and be responsive to FERPA law and regulations.
- Maintain processes and systems that
improve the quality of customer support services.
- Demonstrate working functional knowledge of Banner.
- Must be knowledgeable
about university transfer requirements, reverse transfers, and articulations agreements.
- Must posses outstanding customer service
skills and the ability to work with multiple projects and within deadlines.
- Must be available for occasional night and weekend
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/ university required.
- Experience / training in one or more of the following areas: education, teaching, academic advising,
recruiting, sales, customer service, marketing, or public relations- preferably at a community college level.
- Certification of VA
and/ or Hazlewood education benefits.
- Knowledge and experience with Banner Student system or other student database software
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
Remote Work Opportunities:
- The duties of this position require a physical presence at the assigned
on-site work location during unrestricted operations with very limited or no opportunity for remote work arrangements.
- Please include cover letter and 3 references
- 19.5 hours a week. During
peak registration may work up to 40 hours.
- Pay rate: $19.00/hr
Salary Grade: STUDENTSERVICES
is based on the Board-approved salary schedule for the current fiscal year. See Salary Schedule
Posting Close Date: 8/9/2022