Summit Academy OIC in Minneapolis has a great opportunity for a qualified person to join our outstanding team as a Student
The Student Advisor is responsible for supporting adult learners as they work to complete Summit Academy OIC’s
training programs. The Student Advisor promotes student success and responds to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive
school counseling program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development of students.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Establishes an advising relationship with prospective students during the enrollment process; serves as the
advisor to assist enrolled students in staying on track to meet their educational goals.
- Monitors student academic performance,
conduct, and attendance, and facilitates appropriate interventions; promotes student success through preventive services, and responds to
identified student needs to address academic, career, and personal/social development of all students.
- Participates in or
coordinates activities on special projects as assigned to accomplish established objectives and retention goals; implements retention
programming such as the Food for Thought personal development series, student recognition, and career-focused activities.
students in navigating Summit Academy OIC’s policies and procedures, academic requirements, and related items.
direct support services to individual students, small groups and classrooms.
- Conducts assessments; uses data to develop
comprehensive programs that meet student needs; meets regularly with instructional staff to stay abreast of student concerns, needs and
- Secures and maintains current and appropriate resources for students’ use, advice, and guidance; provides
success-focused student workshops on topics such as time management, test-taking strategies, effective study habits, etc.
- Joins and
participates in local and regional school counseling associations to build solid working relationships and to stay abreast of trends and
resources; adheres to laws, policies, procedures and ethical standards of the school counseling profession.
- Performs other duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of good practice in student advising
- Ability to create and maintain organizational practices
- Excellent written and communication skills
organizational ability and able to meet deadlines
- Ability to help adult learners understand their skills and weaknesses; and assist
in proactive problem resolution
- Positive and motivational attitude
- Ability to work as a team member
- Proficient in
Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse adult student population in a nontraditional learning
- Ability to produce quality work in a fast paced environment
- Experience with Anthology/Campus Management
products a plus
This position has no direct reports.
This job operates in a professional office and classroom environment. This role routinely uses standard office
equipment such as, computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Presentations, classroom observations, computer work, some filing required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing
cabinets, use keyboarding skills, and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act. It is not eligible for overtime. Hours are 8:00 a.m. –
5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Night and weekend work may be required to meet the expectations of the position.
Occasional local travel may be required.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, counseling, or related field from an accredited college/university OR four years of
professional experience working with adults in an education or case management setting.
- A minimum of one year professional
counseling or student advisory work.
Preferred Education & Experience
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities
may change at any time with or without notice.