the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population
of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our
mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance
learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity
of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote
equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community
both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic
changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented
populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students,
the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost
institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve
their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty
adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency,
scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our
Job Posting Title:
Job Description Summary:
To provide advising and
coaching to underrepresented and marginalized students by connecting them to career development and academic planning, academic support, and
financial resources. Committed to helping students navigate through the challenges of higher education by guiding, mentoring and advocating
for student success and completion.
Description of Duties and Tasks
comprehensive case management for students with identified risk factors; assists students or groups in developing effective problem-solving
skills, decision-making, and personal responsibility to overcome barriers impeding academic success.
2) Initiates proactive
interventions/strategies and may collaborate with faculty and campus staff to address academic concerns and life challenges for students to
successfully complete their educational goals.
3) In collaboration with the Student Success and Data Analytics team, monitors student
retention data and assists in the development and implementation of success programs by incorporating data analysis and current research
into campus-based retention and case management efforts.
4) Provides comprehensive services with specialized strategies for a caseload of
academically high needs students.
5) Provides academic guidance and advising in partnership with Area of Study, including course
selection, degree planning, review of transfer information, and determination of ultimate employment objectives.
6) Provides students
with timely and accurate educational information on degrees, certificates, courses, college policies and procedures, career service
providers, and campus and community resources.
7) Serves as an advocate and resource for students navigating college processes such as
student code of conduct, grade appeals, and complaint process.
8) Provides proactive case management services through on-going contact
and follow up with assigned students; and coordinates referrals to available college and community services as needed to assist them in
achieving academic success.
9) Assist with college persistence programming, college-related community outreach, external networking, and
recruiting of students.
10) Participate in institutional committees and trainings that are related to student success and retention goals
and enhance opportunities for ACC students.
11) Assist students with the transition to baccalaureate institutions or employment. Supports
the mission, vision, and values of the College.
12) Remains current with college and statewide initiatives, relevant technology, and
13) Performs other tasks as assigned that support and advance the College and student
Additional Job Specific Duties
* Some evening and weekend work
* College admissions requirements, programs, and courses.
* Interpreting standardized testing
and assessment as related to educational services
* Knowledge and ability to demonstrate crisis management
* Multicultural education
programs and systems.
* Best practices and strategies to support student success.
* Maintaining an
established schedule which may include evenings and weekends.
* Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact
* Effectively using organizational and planning skill, including attention to detail and follow-through.
verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
* Advising students on program guidelines and
* Assessing student needs and providing appropriate resources and/or referrals.
* Maintaining confidentiality of
work-related information and materials.
* Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
* Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
* Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
* Demonstrated experience
providing advising and/or coaching in a higher educational setting.
* Demonstrated experience working in a diverse environment, inclusive
of people with varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender/sexuality, and ethnic backgrounds and
* Master’s degree in education, student affairs, counseling, social work, or closely
* Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 10
* Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take
reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
August 5, 2022
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are
eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical,
dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social
Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and
Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing
inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report
violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select
individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified,
trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is
not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the
skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add,
change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other
duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.