The TRIO/College Success Program is accepting applications for a Retention Mentor at the Northern Wyoming Community College District. The position, under the Director of TRIO will support student success, retention, and progression to graduation. Utilizing an academic mentoring model, the Retention Mentor will conduct individual and group outreach on a regular basis, provide comprehensive support for students, connect students to campus and community resources, monitor and track progress, and maintain communication with TRIO program and institutional faculty and staff. The individual in this position should have the ability to work independently while being part of a team across the college district.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
65% Student Recruitment & Retention: Per grant expectations, identify, screen, select, and interview possible program participants. Individually provide educational services as well as campus/community resources. Independently conduct individual student and group mentor meetings in accordance with program policies using personal discretion as to which intervention method works best for each students’ needs. Work with students to build positive relationships focused on accountability and personal growth. Develop individual education plans, clear career and personal goals. Maintain individual contacts with program participants on an ongoing basis until their college completion. Tutor program participants in areas of personal academic strengths. Provide students with career/transfer guidance for seamless transitions from NWCCD. Plan, conduct, and transport students to visit 4-year university to increase transfer rates Provide students with financial aid understanding, basic financial literacy information, and teach students success financial planning skills. Teach college success strategies, develop lesson plans for multiple courses and workshops. May be asked to teach a for-credit course to support college needs.
15% Program Requirements: Participate in all TRIO/CSP meetings, events, and trainings. Independently Carry out program required and permissible services per grant and program director. Facilitate workshops and other events as needed. Maintain program website, portal page, and other technologies used by the program. Participate in continuous TRIO related professional development.
10% Data/Record Keeping: Manage and maintain accurate, timely, detailed and confidential records and needed paperwork to monitor student progress to success. Generate reports of retention data, student progress, and intervention effectiveness for assigned caseload. Gather individual student retention data to drive institutional policies and efforts.
5% Student Advising: Serve as an academic advisor for individually assigned caseloads. Serve as a liaison with families in navigating the process of higher education. Help students navigate course selection and on-line databases for registration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required by the Position:
- Awareness and knowledge of issues facing minority students, first generation college students and students with limited income attending college
- Basic knowledge of college admission, advising, registration, financial aid, policies and procedures
- Basic understanding of multi-campus community college systems
- Basic understanding of integrated student information database systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office products
- Basic knowledge of TRiO programs
- High ethical standards, great communication skills with a wide variety of people, great listening skills, an understanding of financial aid, record keeping and contact logs management
- Ability to work with non-traditional, at-risk college students, ability to challenge students to promote growth, ability to create group curriculums based of a proposed topic
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Standard Office and classroom working environment, some nights and weekends may be required (for workshops, college visits, or other program events)
- Ability to lift twenty (20) pounds.
Minimum Qualifications including education, experience, required licensures, certifications, and registrations:
- Bachelor’s degree required in education, counseling, higher education, student services, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- Two years’ experience working with non-traditional or at-risk populations in the capacity of advising, counseling, education, or mentoring.
- Prior experience working with/for a TRiO or Educational Opportunity Programs is preferred.
Required skills, licensures, certifications, or registrations:
- Transcripts and background clearances required upon hire
- Current driver’s license and willingness to transport students
- Individual membership in regional TRIO association required upon hiring
Desired Qualifications including education, experience, required licensures, certifications, and registrations:
- Master’s Degree in student development, education, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- Having overcome similar barriers and/or come from similar backgrounds to the target population for the TRIO program.
- Advising in a higher education setting.
- Working with federal/state education grants.
- Bilingual/Fluency in Spanish